Sunday, September 30, 2007

 

Back and blogging

It's been a blogging break but there are new pictures on the side from my trip to London. To sum up I thought I would be seeing tons of stuff like this, which is the castle we went to in Warwick, located about two hours from London.



Instead, I saw a lot of this:



These are the documents I was there to photograph, which is all I did for the ten days I was there. I took over 3,000 pictures. My job was to go through these fourteenth century rolls (so named because the scribes would write on the parchment, on both sides, and then sew the bunch at the top -- they would then roll up the whole thing and tie it shut) and find the widows' activities. It is in Latin, albeit the medieval bastardized form that is abbreviated, etc. Here is me puzzling over them.



We got Sunday off to tour and while we got to tour Warwick that day, the only day for a break was Monday, when I left early to go to the Museum of London. It was more of a working trip as I took pictures of things like this, which were the chests where they would store their copies of the deeds not included in the rolls. These pictures will work for teaching in the future.



We also went to the Tower of London, my absolute favorite site in London, and since I've been there now three times, it must be. We were there right before closing and had it pretty much to ourselves, which was great. I wandered through the entire site, soaking up the (remarkably!)quiet atmosphere.

White Tower.


Again, because it's me, I took a bunch of pictures of the privies, or toilets. They placed their toilets on the outside of the structure so that the refuse would fall far below.



So the London trip was great -- lots of work accomplished and my appreciation of the city grew even more. As I said, I posted more pics of our flat in the flickr account on the left.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?